TSUNAMI - Please help The Maldives

timntri
Hi Everyone
I cannot think of anyone who has not been either personally affected through someone they know or just through the mind blowing impact of such a massive disaster.
With all that everyone has done and given already from all parts of the world it becomes obvious that we, as a race so often in conflict may even have some hope for a better future.

We are a small church in the South of England and have been astounded at how, even over the course of the Christmas and New Year Bank holiday period people have been able to pull out the stops to help.

This is an appeal for any items that you may have that you can spare from the following list of items. We have a container being filled at the moment and road and air transport for the load has been kindly donated. The relief load has been cleared with the Maldives High Commission for customs and fast distribution upon arrival and the container will be shipped out during the week of the the Jan 9th.

Clothes are not required as there has already been a mass of items donated. Neither are we asking for monetary donations. What is desperately needed are item of practical use.

1st Aid equipment, blankets, duvets, sheets and other bedding, towels, sewing equipment (needles, cotton, scissors, etc) tents, tarpaulins and other camping equipment, generators, gardening items (trowels, forks, spades etc)

Items do not need to be new but should be usable.

If you have any of the above items that you can spare, not matter how much or how little then please either respond here or email me direct at zelore@msn.com and I will contact you with further information.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for all they have done so far and for any help you feel you can give to this particular appeal

Tim Margetts
Message 1 of 187
See Most Recent
186 REPLIES 186

Think it's an excellent idea Tim.

I will keep offering my paypal for donations as well.

I have an email circulating at work and am hoping for some generousity from there, will also tap up friends and family.

I'll keep you posted with the totals
Kiss It
Message 61 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Great stuff TP (though if we are going to go for a desalinator dont go spending any more at the shopps ) 😉

Tim
Message 62 of 187
See Most Recent

kazzyfrost
Glad to find a current list of needed items. We've already taken a batch of aid to Salisbury base of Friends of Maldives (saw our actual boxes arrive on a news report yesterday which was great to see) but group of friends have collected more and I plan to organise a collection through pre-school I work at. Some items already collected are now not on current list (clothes and bedding)- do you still need them for sending later on or should we give to Oxfam? Also could we deliver to your base (we're in Verwood)- I understand Salisbury can no longer accept aid. Can I have an address and times of opening please. Hope to hear soon.
Message 63 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
We cant handle the soft stuff now, over what we already know is coming that is, check out other disaster related orgs for them as someone will take them.
The problem we have is one of space, both in storage and then on the transport so we have to be realistic and start getting more particular over what we can accept. - gosh that sounds so hard but honestly, it isnt meant to be.
We have 2 main collecting points. Ours in Lancing, West Sussex and the main depot in Southampton. If you let me know which is closest to you then I will give you the addy to come to.

Yours
Tim
Message 64 of 187
See Most Recent

kazzyfrost
Me again - sorry forgot to ask for a copy of your poster. Do you want to email it to me (Kaz@Verwood07.FSNet.co.uk) or email me and I will reply with my home address. Ta!
Message 65 of 187
See Most Recent

kazzyfrost
Southampton would be the nearest for us. Shame about the clothes/bedding but we'll see if we can pass it on. Will concentrate on other items listed.
Message 66 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Kazzy YHM poster on its way to you

Tim
Message 67 of 187
See Most Recent

sumpti
Tim,

over the course of the weekend I will see what I can place to sell for you guys....did you get the email from B & Q???
Has anyone else been in touch re tarpaulin etc??
Message 68 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
No email from B&Q yet sumpti, you might have a go at chasing it up for me in case it got lost in the post.
Been having to do this through all sorts of pooter probs :_|

Tim
Message 69 of 187
See Most Recent

Kiss It
Message 70 of 187
See Most Recent

Couldn't resist
Kiss It
Message 71 of 187
See Most Recent

kar-atequeen
tim having problems getting e-mail to you can you e-mail me with address to send any money to please thanks
Message 72 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Morning all

Karate, you can either paypal donations to me tjmaggots@aol.com or else post direct
(Same goes for anyone else)
My address is
Tim Margetts
19 Busticle Lane
Sompting
West Sussex
BN15 0DJ

If you want to send cheques they should be made out to Friends of Maldives and I would advise using registered post for sending any donations so PayPal may be easier.
Anyone can also post items direct to me if they want to.

We have had an air compressor donated yesterday but still need more heavier equipment so if any of you have any generators etc. kicking around then that would be really great, badger your local building merchants etc.

Have a great day

Tim :-x
Message 73 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Update

Urgently needed if anyone has one spare, a laptop pooter, (PC or Applemac) doesnt have to be all singing and dancing, just functional and able to connect up to internet via a 10/100 b/band. If we get more than 1 then that will be even better as it will alow more than 1 person to work at a time.
email me if you can help

Thanks
Tim
Message 74 of 187
See Most Recent

Tim CYE/YHM
Message 75 of 187
See Most Recent

and again - tried teh new addy as well!
Message 76 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
I have started another thread specifically for the desalinator appeal

Can you keep it near the top unless those nice people at eBay can lock it with the other Maldives thread for us.

Ta
Tim
Message 77 of 187
See Most Recent

kar-atequeen
tim u have mail i got through at alst thanks hope it makes sence i would also be able to perhaps collect it up and get it to you or people could bring the items to me there choice thanks karate
Message 78 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Morning all

I have a new poster available with an updated list of needed items.

If you wpuld like a copy then please drop me an email.

Yours
Tim
Message 79 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
Tim - I have sent email
Message 80 of 187
See Most Recent