TSUNAMI - Please help The Maldives

timntri
Hi Everyone
I cannot think of anyone who has not been either personally affected through someone they know or just through the mind blowing impact of such a massive disaster.
With all that everyone has done and given already from all parts of the world it becomes obvious that we, as a race so often in conflict may even have some hope for a better future.

We are a small church in the South of England and have been astounded at how, even over the course of the Christmas and New Year Bank holiday period people have been able to pull out the stops to help.

This is an appeal for any items that you may have that you can spare from the following list of items. We have a container being filled at the moment and road and air transport for the load has been kindly donated. The relief load has been cleared with the Maldives High Commission for customs and fast distribution upon arrival and the container will be shipped out during the week of the the Jan 9th.

Clothes are not required as there has already been a mass of items donated. Neither are we asking for monetary donations. What is desperately needed are item of practical use.

1st Aid equipment, blankets, duvets, sheets and other bedding, towels, sewing equipment (needles, cotton, scissors, etc) tents, tarpaulins and other camping equipment, generators, gardening items (trowels, forks, spades etc)

Items do not need to be new but should be usable.

If you have any of the above items that you can spare, not matter how much or how little then please either respond here or email me direct at zelore@msn.com and I will contact you with further information.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for all they have done so far and for any help you feel you can give to this particular appeal

Tim Margetts
Message 1 of 187
See Most Recent
186 REPLIES 186

dawn899
I can't email you Tim 😞

For some strange reason it not letting me 😞

dawn-1@ntlworld.com
Message 41 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
Just to say that hopefully i will drop off what I have collected so far tonight or tomorrow.

Also, I shall be listing items over the next week on Ebay in aid of this.
Message 42 of 187
See Most Recent

lin_is_larey
we are raffling off a new samsung e700 in our shop and we are hoping to raise £1000+, it might be a bit optimistic but every penny helps
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 43 of 187
See Most Recent

Tim

Sent you a mail this morning but not had reply yet - but I know you said your mail has been playing up a bit - so will post my question here.

I have some net curtains, don't want to send them if they aren't useful [I know window dressing is hardly a priority] but wondered if they would be any goos as makeshift mosquito nets, or am I being stupid??

Kiss It
Message 44 of 187
See Most Recent

Hi Tim...does that mean that they dont need any more clothes full stop, or just your company (sorry, dont know who you are!) Thanks...Katrina
Message 45 of 187
See Most Recent

Hi again....been back and read it properly....I have lots of baby/toddler toys that I was going to take to my local Hospital, childrens ward as they are nearly new. I would love to donate them to you but how would I get them to you...thanks again...Katrina
Message 46 of 187
See Most Recent

kookichoo
Hi all, I'm looking for toothless troll... I'm in Birmingham with stuff waiting to send/be collected such as two tents and camp stoves + other stuff... towels, scissors, sewing needles, duvet, baby formula...
Any news of Birmingham collection points would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Karen
Message 47 of 187
See Most Recent

Toothie is on the thread above - post there and he will get back to you
Kiss It
Message 48 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi all

Sorry about delays in email contact.
My pooter finally gave up the ghost today and went fffzzztt.
Had to open her up and do some emergency surgery and then found my HD had corrupted as well so then had to reformat and reinstall OS and everything else.
Finally got back on around 8pm
Hopefully everyone has had replies to emails now but if i lost some in the crash then ever so sorry, please email me again and i will get back tomorrow 1st thing.

Thread puller, the nets idea is a great one so long as no large lacy holes, they need to have a fine weave to be of use (is that how you spell lacy hmmmm 😕 )
Lin & Granada,(41 & 42) that is brilliant guys. I hope you do very well with it
Charlie (45) where are you, email me and we can see what can be sorted out, or check Toothless thread if you are in the North to see if you can link up there

We now have had a hanger loaned to us at Shoreham airport and the rooms above the social club have been opened so we are getting our homes clear of tons of stuff at last.

Keep the stuff rolling in peeps, you are doing brilliantly.

Tim 😄
Message 49 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Good Morning all.

In response to a few questions I have spotted.

The two main collection points are in Lancing and Southampton.
Apart from the trip by Toothless, there has been a drop of spot set up in London, a collection and trip set up to come down from Scotland.
A teacher is getting things together in Cardiff and may be able to accept items from those parts. We have had deliveries coming in from all over the country.
If you want to post direct to me then please email me and I will give you my address.
The packing is going great guns but if anyone is close enough to help we could still do with more voluteers so please email me for info if you can spare some time to help.

We couldn't do this without all the wonderfull support we are getting from around the country so everyone give yourselves a massive pat on the back.

Yours
Tim 😄
Message 50 of 187
See Most Recent

Monring Tim

The paypal donations stand at £277 - with a pledge from a friends company to match what is raised.

I will make the purchases this afternoon.
Kiss It
Message 51 of 187
See Most Recent

*patsy

timntri
Hi Guys

We are really in a pickle now, so much coming in and not a tin opener in sight so can you please add can openers to the list of items needed (and bottle openers)
Also need baby bottles

TP, that is fantastic and our thanks to everyone who has donated.
We can also take donations down here, either paypal to me or post a cheque made out to Friends of maldives. email for my address or paypal details

Yours
Tim
Message 53 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Can we ask everyone collecting to concentrate on medical, food, tools, wellies where ever possible. We have loads coming in and these are the items that we are most short of.

Many thanks

Tim
Message 54 of 187
See Most Recent

Argh - sorry guys - I lied about the amount - it was 227 not 277 - please forgive me.

Kiss It
Message 55 of 187
See Most Recent

Tim

I mailed Paypal earlier today re the credit card fees - they have just replied with a big fat NO.

Will you add the Money from here [227] to your total, although I have spent the money - the total you raise will be matched by the Company my friend works for.

Hopefully you will have had his email by now.
Kiss It
Message 56 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
easily done, I have stopped even looking for typos and spelling mistooks now 😉

And the amount is still great so well done you and everyone else who has contributed

Tim
Message 57 of 187
See Most Recent

Anyone able to collect from the Bedford area?

I've got a small 2 man tent, some plastic plates/cups, sheets, bath & hand towels, a couple of light blankets, soft toys and can lay my hands on a couple of tin openers.

I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance, but regret, not too far as my funds won't stretch to too much petrol.

If anyone else is in reasonable travelling distance of Bedford and wants to drop off with me, I can ferry it onwards.

Just to let you know, the firm I work for have donated £100,000 this week to DEC and people are busy this weekend baking cakes & biccies for a sale on Monday with a min price per cake of £6.00 - all funds to go to DEC.
I'm also trying to organise a tombola with all sorts off odd prizes from unwanted Xmas pressies to that thing you really haven't a clue what it is.

Katz
Message 58 of 187
See Most Recent

lin_is_larey
today i gave £50 towards petrol for the collection agency that are picking things up in our local area, and i have made every customer who has come into our shop buy a ticket for our raffle
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 59 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
OK guys have just been talking with Nina about the wonderful effort you lot have been managing (Nina is in charge of our Lancing depot)
With TP's offer from the firm to match what we can raise I have a new target for you all.

How does £3500 sound, thats £1750 from us and a match from the firm.

Why £3500?

Well that is the cost of a desalinisation plant. With one of these babies we can remove the salt from the mangrove plantations and save the islanders crops, imagine how that will help them over the long term to get back on their feet properly.

I know at the start of all this i said we were not seeking money just items, but then again we never really thought that we would have a hope of raising enough for one of these plants until I saw what TP had achieved in just 2 days. We still need the items but if we could also send out a desalinator it would really be a cherry on top of the cake.

So if any of you can help, either with donations or through selling unwanted items on eBay etc, then you never know we may just do it.

post here if you think we should go for this and if there is enough support then i will post up my paypal details and snailmail. If on the other hand you want to stick to what you are doing already with the items off 'the list'. Then all respect to you for that as well as we couldn't do what we are doing now without the marvelous effort you have all put in.

Over to you now

Tim
Message 60 of 187
See Most Recent