TSUNAMI - Please help The Maldives

timntri
Hi Everyone
I cannot think of anyone who has not been either personally affected through someone they know or just through the mind blowing impact of such a massive disaster.
With all that everyone has done and given already from all parts of the world it becomes obvious that we, as a race so often in conflict may even have some hope for a better future.

We are a small church in the South of England and have been astounded at how, even over the course of the Christmas and New Year Bank holiday period people have been able to pull out the stops to help.

This is an appeal for any items that you may have that you can spare from the following list of items. We have a container being filled at the moment and road and air transport for the load has been kindly donated. The relief load has been cleared with the Maldives High Commission for customs and fast distribution upon arrival and the container will be shipped out during the week of the the Jan 9th.

Clothes are not required as there has already been a mass of items donated. Neither are we asking for monetary donations. What is desperately needed are item of practical use.

1st Aid equipment, blankets, duvets, sheets and other bedding, towels, sewing equipment (needles, cotton, scissors, etc) tents, tarpaulins and other camping equipment, generators, gardening items (trowels, forks, spades etc)

Items do not need to be new but should be usable.

If you have any of the above items that you can spare, not matter how much or how little then please either respond here or email me direct at zelore@msn.com and I will contact you with further information.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for all they have done so far and for any help you feel you can give to this particular appeal

Tim Margetts
Message 1 of 187
See Most Recent
186 REPLIES 186

timnitri, put your website up here, so people can see where you are etc.

I'm in Portsmouth and have been collecting blankets, sheets etc, this has gone to B&Q in Farnborough as they have been collecting and donating items, my brother in law works there, i will find out from him where this is being sent to and if maybe Farnborough B&Q or a more local one could donate tarpaulin. I will do my best to collect more sheets and blankets and hopefully pay you a worthwhile visit.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 21 of 187
See Most Recent

dawn899
Tim...

Just read your posts and wonder if you can help me..

I would like to get a group of other mums and maybe our local school to sponsor a school or orphanage anywhere where the tsunami stuck. Would your contact know of an orphanage in the maldives that could do with sponsoring?
And maybe how I go about it??

I don't have any tansport, so cannot help you with collection or delivery of any items being donated to you... but I can be a middle drop off point or something like that. I live just north of London, St. Albans, so if someone wanted to deliver their donations this far, you could pick them up from here 🙂

Dawn
Message 22 of 187
See Most Recent

sumpti
My sister has pointed me in the direction of this and has been in touch,

We have been collecting items and have quite a bit of food, medical supplies, bottles, blankets etc. I am in Fareham, so Southampton is close for me and I understand you have a collecting point there. Failing that Salisbury is not a problem.
Please let me have the address and I can get the items there tomorrow.

My husband works for B & Q, I know that they are donating items, such as tarpaulins, and equipment, through the Red Cross. I will however, have words with him to see if he can do anything to help get some of this your way.
Message 23 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi all, wow, been a busy day for us here but we continue to be stunned by everyone's generosity.

Lin, thanks for the link, tho not sure if that counts as too much information, kinky you or naughty girl 😉

Dawn, 2 great helps there, not sure about orphanage, email me and I will follow this up directly with you as soon as I get some info, as for the London pick up/drop off point, that could be really usefull, could you put up an email so anyone who wants to make use of this offer can get hold of you.

Sumpti, I got your email and have replied. Thank you.

To those I havent mentioned, you are all stars. Our thanks go out to you all

Tim
Message 24 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
bump
Message 25 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
BUMP
Message 26 of 187
See Most Recent

dairyview
bump
Message 27 of 187
See Most Recent

mess*
Hi

Am more than happy to help with distributing posters, collecting etc

I'm a bit further north of Fareham (Petersfield area) and am happy to collect items from Guildford way and could maybe drop off at Fareham/Southhampton

Will email you
Message 28 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
Thanks for the poster - will distribute it.

I am willing to accept items from the Brighton area and drop off at the Lancing area.

Message 29 of 187
See Most Recent

smuir00
Hi, we live in the Southampton area and would like to make a donation. Can someone please post the address of where things are to be taken.

Anita & Simon Muir

Message 30 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
email the op (Tim) on this email address tjmaggots@aol.com

he will be able to give you all the details

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 31 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi all

OK the friends of Maldives website is
http://www.friendsofmaldives.co.uk/

on it you will find updated information as it comes in and also a current list of what is still being asked for in order to completely fill the 2 planes we have lined up with a good balance of needed items.

This doesn't necessarily mean we don't want the other items requested, just that they will have to go on a future flight so the 'still required' items are of highest priority.

God, I am waffling. It's been a long day and i am very tired.

Mess, I think I have had your email, if so then i should have responded (hopes) if not drop me another line and accept my apologies.

Granada, our thanks for your great offer of help.

Smuir, I will email you via ebay so we can get in touch and get things sorted.

Everyone else. Many thanks and keep it up.

Good night all

Tim 🙂
Message 32 of 187
See Most Recent

Newcastle United will be thrown out of Europe if the Toon Army keep causing this much trouble.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 33 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Nice to see such a great spirit of concern for humanity, isnt the world lucky that it isnt made up of more people with your kind of attitude.
Also, if you had read the thread, we are specifically not asking for money but rather for item that you may have spare that are desperately needed by people who have lost everything and need help to rebuild their lives.

Tim
Message 34 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi all

If you live in the North then please see the other link.
Also as an update, we now have enough duvets.
Many thanks

Tim
Message 35 of 187
See Most Recent

toothys thread 🙂
Message 36 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi all
Many thanks to eBay for sticking both this and the other thread so they stays prominantly in view

As an update, what we need is on this list
Cardboard Boxes and Tape
Tents / Camping Equipment
Scissors / Sewing Kits
Generators
First Aid – Disinfectants, bandages,
plasters, cotton wool
Tinned/Powdered Food (no Pork
please – Maldivians are Muslim)
Rubber Gloves
Matches
Bath Towels
Bed Sheets
Hand Tools
Light Blankets
Medical Masks
Tooth Brushes / Tooth Paste
Baby Food/Baby Milk/Wet Wipes etc.
String/Rope/Bungees/Straps
Toys - Dolls/Teddies/Cars

We have a real shortage of sewing materials, cotton needles etc. We also need things like disinfectants, mosquito nets if you have them or mosquito repellants.

We can not, unfortunately take any more duvets or clothes

I hope this helps you all and many many thanks for all you help and support

Tim
tjmaggots@aol.com
Message 37 of 187
See Most Recent

dawn899
Hi Tim,

Would it be okay to copy your letter along with the list of items required for me to put in my local shop window.
I can add my telephone number for the locals to ask me anything and to give them my address to bring items to. I can also try to get a van to bring anything down to you (with help from a friend ;)) I shall be keeping your e-mail addy on though... just incase anyone to get in contact with you direct.

Also.... when do you want any items to be at yours?

Dawn
Message 38 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Dawn, if you email me I will send you a poster by return that you can use.
The 1st flight goes early next week and a second about 5 days later. We are also trying to line up a second wave of flights for after that.

Tim
Message 39 of 187
See Most Recent

dawn899
thank the lord for that!!!!!!! I don't think i would be able to get much in just a day or 2!! lol

will e-mail for poster

cheers 🙂
Message 40 of 187
See Most Recent