TSUNAMI - Please help The Maldives

timntri
Hi Everyone
I cannot think of anyone who has not been either personally affected through someone they know or just through the mind blowing impact of such a massive disaster.
With all that everyone has done and given already from all parts of the world it becomes obvious that we, as a race so often in conflict may even have some hope for a better future.

We are a small church in the South of England and have been astounded at how, even over the course of the Christmas and New Year Bank holiday period people have been able to pull out the stops to help.

This is an appeal for any items that you may have that you can spare from the following list of items. We have a container being filled at the moment and road and air transport for the load has been kindly donated. The relief load has been cleared with the Maldives High Commission for customs and fast distribution upon arrival and the container will be shipped out during the week of the the Jan 9th.

Clothes are not required as there has already been a mass of items donated. Neither are we asking for monetary donations. What is desperately needed are item of practical use.

1st Aid equipment, blankets, duvets, sheets and other bedding, towels, sewing equipment (needles, cotton, scissors, etc) tents, tarpaulins and other camping equipment, generators, gardening items (trowels, forks, spades etc)

Items do not need to be new but should be usable.

If you have any of the above items that you can spare, not matter how much or how little then please either respond here or email me direct at zelore@msn.com and I will contact you with further information.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for all they have done so far and for any help you feel you can give to this particular appeal

Tim Margetts
Message 1 of 187
See Most Recent
186 REPLIES 186

timntri
As an update:

Friends of the Maldives, the organisation who we are working with in this aid programme have today received another call from the Maldivian High Commission.

Unfortunately most aid is going to the most widely reported areas such as Thailand and Indonesia. What this means in practical terms is that there is no UK government aid going to the Maldives and so far the Friends of the Maldives are the only group within the UK who have aid shipments heading to the islands.

Your help is desperately needed

Thank you

Tim
Message 2 of 187
See Most Recent

Tim. Where in the South of England are you? I'm in Birmingham but couldn't drive that far to donate.
Message 3 of 187
See Most Recent

the-syn-queen
"BUMP"
Message 4 of 187
See Most Recent

I have loads of clothes, blankets, odds and sods to donate. BRMB keeps saying no "stuff" just money. I've done money but it doesn't feel the same.
Message 5 of 187
See Most Recent

broch23
`What this means in practical terms is that there is no UK government aid going to the Maldives and so far the Friends of the Maldives are the only group within the UK who have aid shipments heading to the islands.`

Maybe as there is an international/worldwide aid programme that other countries are getting aid there? I would be appalled to think that aid was `only` given to those most `reported` areas (by the media do you mean?).

Good luck - I`m sure you will be given lots of help. Sorry I`m not in that area - but doing what I can here.
Message 6 of 187
See Most Recent

I have so many kids and baby clothes just begging to be sent.

Come on someone help.

I'm in Solihull, next to the NEC and Birmingham Airport. I can deliver within a certain distance.
Message 7 of 187
See Most Recent

battybaby666
Hi Mavis, I don't know if this is any use to you -

"TSUNAMI RELIEF APPEAL Amida Trust and the The International Buddhist Relief Organisation are appealing for aid for Sri Lanka. Amida Buddhist Minister Rev. Amrita Dhammika, IBRO projects officer, appeared on BBC TV and radio this morning appealing for
*Tents
*Medicines, especially antibiotics, first aid supplies, vitamins, pain contol drugs etc.
*Blankets
*Summer clothes
Financial contributions are also asked for. Please send material items to
Buddhist Vihara, 23 Weycroft Road, Perry Common, Birmingham B23 5AD. Telephone 0121.3827108
or
The Buddhist House, 12 Coventry Road, Narborough, Leicestershire LE19 2GR. Telephone 0116.2867476. e-mail: amida@amidatrust.com
or
45 Byron St., Eccles, Manchester M30 0GS. Telephone: 0161.7079125. e-mail: amrita@amidatrust.com

Financial contributions,
please makes cheques payable to:
Amida Trust if sending to Narborough address
or
International Buddhist Relief Organisation if sending to Birmingham address
and
write “Tsunami Appeal” on the back in either case.

All medical aid will be flown to Sri Lanka by arrangement with the Sri Lankan High Commission. Other supplies will follow by ship. Please help."
Message 8 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
No help from the UK, unfortunately means just that. Friends of the Maldives is the only group sending out to the Islands as we speak, and as far as i am aware from what the High Commission has said, they have not other promise of aid from other international groups (Though I may have this wrong so dont quote me)
I have noticed at least a couple of responces from the Birmingham area, any chance of you guys getting together from the Midlands region and perhaps I could drive up and meet you half way. Or maybe someone doing a delivery to the Lancing area (Between Brighton and Worthing) could help out.
Sorry about the baby clothes thing but we really have more clothes than we can cope with. It is the other essentials we are desperate for.
The majority of the islands are only a few feet above sea level and were completely wash out by the wave.

If any of you good people have any contacts with firms who may be able to help, particularly thinking of things the average person doesnt have lying around like generators and tools, (tho not powered unless you have a generator as well) that sort of thing, then a word in the right ear would be very well received. Please give them my email address above to contact us if they can help.

Thank you for all your replies and encouragement

Tim
Message 9 of 187
See Most Recent

Thank you Batty
Message 10 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
op i am in lancing and i have some spare bedding, covers, blankets i could donate if they would be of use to you.
karen

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 11 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
op i have emailed you

Message 12 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
I am having real problems receiving email on my MSN account for some reason - Dont you just love pooters 😞

Can anyone emailing me please use my alternative email of

tjmaggots@aol.com

Thankyou

Tim
Message 13 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
have sent a copy to the new email address given
karen

Message 14 of 187
See Most Recent

I know oxfam need peeps to help with all the donations, in the shops, due to us all donating things 🙂
Message 15 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
I know, the response has been fantastic across the whole country Golfi.
The pity is that so far none of the 'majors' have plans to send to the Maldives. Also when you give to a shop they sell the items then buy items to ship out or send funds, whereas we are shipping everything we receive direct to the islands where it is needed. Also we are regular contact with the High commision who are keeping us informed of most needed items.

The latest additions to the list are disinfectants, mosquito nets and repellants, and baby milk powder and food.

If any of you can help by displaying or distributing appeal posters then please email me and I will be happy to send you a copy of the poster.

Tim
Message 16 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Going to bed now as kids back to school tomorrow (yippee) 😄 and have to get up early 😞
Thanks for all replies so far. Will check back tomorrow to see how things are going on here.

Many thanks everyone

Tim
Message 17 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Good Morning

Can I express my thanks for the offers of help that I have received so far. Every item received will help enormously.

Yours Tim

Message 18 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
bump
Message 19 of 187
See Most Recent

lin_is_larey
http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=488&ArticleID=911745

just a link to bump this

p.s. the bloke in the article is my first boyfriend and i lost my v***inity to him *OOPS*
Message 20 of 187
See Most Recent