Potatoes in tyres Pea Harvest 2014

The bath turned out to be useless as a planter & will soon be full of rainwater if I can find an imperial small sink plug. Many of the tyres have been made into an unsuccessful (so far) compost bin thing, 3 have gone over to permanent rhubarb production

BUT....

A wave is a wave for only a moment, hmmmmm, unless of course.... noooo thats just wishful thinking
Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

I grew loads of spuds in old giant farm fertilizer crane sacks, the leaves couldn't take the heatwave but even so, tons of spuds 🙂 

BUT....

THE PEA HARVEST

P1010011.JPG

....was going to be huge until the slugs found it, I got a pocket full though 🙂

Its all down to the carrots & tomatoes now

Anyone else surviving in this land of forgotten etc. etc.?

A wave is a wave for only a moment, hmmmmm, unless of course.... noooo thats just wishful thinking
Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

Hmmm well it seems to be 2015, have tipped all the old muck out of the sacks & put new in. This year: spuds 1 (in) spuds 2 (nearly chitted) leeks, onions & tomatoes ANNND its just possible the rhubarb will pull through despite not being a tyre plant. Now to think of a thread idea

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

I have had some french dwarf tho not a whole lot. My tomatoes are coming out now hope they all grow and ripe before the cold comes and Potatoes seem to be doing well tho I actually can't seem them.
When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.
Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Best of luck! My tomatoes are never ready till September, its too cold here. Potatoes all died off in the heatwave, plenty of small ones now lol
Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

@danlyncand wrote:
Best of luck! My tomatoes are never ready till September, its too cold here. Potatoes all died off in the heatwave, plenty of small ones now lol

Thank you. You too.

When should I check the potatoes, when the leaf vine thingy dies? 

other things become bad.
Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

Certainly when it dies yes, I think they can live on into September but we get heatwaves here in July/August and mine are always burnt to a crisp by then. If leaving them in the ground until you want to use them, cut the dead vine off or eventually the rot will travel down into the spuds. I've kept them months in the soil 🙂
Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

@danlyncand thanks for the advice. I have it in a pot. No garden 😢 I'm going to pull it up as soon as I see the vine wilting. I don't think a pot is as much protection as the ground.
other things become bad.
Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

They'll grow better in open ground usually, but pots are good for keeping slugs etc. off, and protecting from frost. I grow some in tyres, it works a treat 🙂
Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Thank you. I might try a tyre if I ever see an old one somewhere 

other things become bad.
Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Garages give them away 😉 it costs 13p each to scrap them, or something like that so they'll usually stop what they're doing and help you load them up. Of course, if you get them now, they'll be standing about all Christmas and become a water-feature in the "hands" of the local animal population, but I like mine ready and full of soil by January. Only, actually, I grew a load actually in the ground this year and they're huge that way (Y)

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

The bath has been taken away :))))) and replaced with 7 chickens, much more productive!

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

Do you live on a farm? 

other things become bad.
Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Not exactly, I live in an old farmhouse where several farms meet so I can get away with a few chicks 🙂 Unforch there are only 5 left now, its rained so much that their pen turned to mud so I let them out and mr fox was quick to notice. Even worse, it wasn't the one in 1980s white socks and burgundy suit out of the foxy bingo adds. This year's gardening attempt is already underway but I best start another thread as its no longer 2014 🙂

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent